Western Digital HDD - MyBook 1 TB - refusal to replace faulty product

WD reference.... [ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U07bz3J:ref ]

This HDD stopped working in Dec-Jan 2013... I'd barely used it. Once a month I'd attach it to my PC and transfer some excess data into it just to clear some space. When it stopped working I was very disappointed.. all my data was lost, but thankfully I'd stored all the important stuff on my SEAGATE (now thats a good company).
When I checked the warranty on the WD website it said 03/12/2013... and that to every Indian.. infact most people in the world would be the 3rd of December 2013. Since I was pretty much always busy, I decided to put it off till I had time, comfortable in the knowledge that I had nearly a year to get it replaced. A week back, I fell ill, got the flu. Staying at home now, I finally had enough time off work to take care of a few things, like getting my HDD replaced. AND NOW... they tell me that 03/12/2013 means the 12th of March, 2013 !!!!!!!
When I emailed them complaining about this, one of their employees, a Wilma_m kept repeating like a parrot that my warranty has expired. Making no mention of their date format which I had stressed on. It seems she was incapable of reading all the words in my email... could only read the serial number and then sent an automated reply back.... It took some effort on my part before I got a proper reply back from a Mr Pavan who gave me some useless info and told me to email someone else. Apparently they consider the American format to be standard on a global website... Americans who use feet and pounds when the rest of the world use meters and kgs... everyone has switched over to the SI system but not them... Mr Pavan, WDs customer base extends far beyond America, and to not even include a small note, an indent, a legend of some sort indicating the date format is the height of irresponsibility.

I could have had my HDD replaced earlier if I'd known the actual date... you give a useless product that was barely used before it stopped working, waste my money, and now my time as well, and then refuse replacement? What kind of company are you people running? I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional in order to reduce the instances of warranty usage to replace faulty products...

If I don't get my HDD replaced then I will take this to consumer court... you people have been rude and dismissive when I emailed you,.. instead of forwarding my complaint to your superiors and taking a valid complaint like this seriously you've given me some random email address and told me to go email them... I'm going to expose your company's duplicity and ineptitude on every consumer forum for the rest of the week, and if you don't rectify your ways by then.. its Consumer Court next.

WD reference.... [ ref:_00DU0Jpn7._500U07bz3J:ref ]

expert

Administrator
Staff member
Can you please tell me your drive type, model number and date of purchase?

You can also see it here: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp . Scroll down to title:"Europe, Middle East, Africa and India" and look for your product model number.

What problem are you facing and have you tested your drive on any other computer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors