Tata sky - Overcharging, Not adhering to commitments

The fatal mistake occurred on 21st Apr 2014 when we decided to go for a Tata Sky connection. Little did we know of the troubles that lay in store for us.

We called JustDial and before we could hang up the phone we got a call from Ms. Swapna from DTH Shopee(Mobile# 8143116611 and Landline # 040-47847397). We never had experienced such promptness from our local cable operator. But in hindsight all this eagerness from Tata Sky was just the urge to rip us off.

Ms. Swapna cheerfully explained that hers was the best price of Tata Sky in town. She mentioned that we had to pay 1700 Rs for a HD Set top box. Next we enquired about what packages we will have available. She mentioned that we need not worry about purchasing any package for the first one month, all channels would be free for the first one month and from the second month onwards we could choose any package of our choice and pay for it. We went into a bit of detail and asked if we will have to pay any HD fee for the first month. Her response was " Don't worry Sir. For the first month you will get all HD Channels free". We enquired about the installation costs. She mentioned that Installation would be done free of cost. We went ahead with our plans based on her response.

Within half an hour of this call, Mr. Shivaram from Tata Sky (Mobile# 7799911068) arrived at our house. He promptly explained the options of Internal and External wiring and suggested us to go for Internal since that will obviate the need to have any window to be slightly opened for the wire to come in. He said that internal wiring would cost us extra since only external wiring is done free of cost. This was not explained by Ms. Swapna earlier. But fine we said and went ahead with internal wiring. We asked if the Tata Sky and our Hathway wiring(for our second TV) would coexist since both would be wired internally. Shivaram said 'No problems' and we went ahead. We paid Rs. 650 extra for the internal wiring. Breakup is as under:-

20 metres wire in all - Out of that 10 metres free. So this cost us 10*10 = Rs. 100
6 Connectors out of which 2 free. Connector cost -> 75 * 4 = Rs. 300
2 Splitters @ 125 Rs each -> 125 * 2 = Rs. 250

Our Hathway connection did not work when Mr. Shivaram completed his work. He explained this to my aged mother saying that there was some disturbance and this had to be checked with our Hathway Cable operator.

The next day we called our Hathway Cable operator and he told us the truth of this internal wiring by Tata Sky. It seems that the Hathway internal cable was ripped off by Mr. Shivaram since only one connection was possible via internal wiring.

We called Mr. Shivaram again and asked him to visit our house and set right the issues. He refused to come and was brazen enough to say 'Do anything you want. I am not coming'. So we were stuck now in no man's land. Our Hathway Cable operator refused to rectify the Hathway connection since someone else had tampered with his wiring.

And the Tata Sky guys after gobbling our money were in no mood for a re-visit.

The fact that Mr. Shivaram had screwed up our Hathway wiring was confirmed when another Tata Sky technician Mr. Vijay (Mobile# 8106433336) arrived the next day and asked us to complain against Mr. Shivaram. He expressed surprise over the fact that Shivaram asked us to go for internal wiring when there was no need to do so. He even told us that Shivaram had many complaints against him with similar cases of ripping off other customers.

Since then we are running from pillar to post calling Tata Sky helpline, Ms. Swapna from DTH Shopee, Mr. Vijay, Mr. Shivaram, some Mr. Murali whose number Ms. Swapna had given - but all to no avail.

The problem stands. Our Hathway wires are still ripped off.

And it doesn't end here. As mentioned initially, we were assured by Ms. Swapna that all channels would be available for the first month and would be covered in the Rs. 1700 Rs we paid. That however was not to be the case. We still are not getting English Movie channels, English News Channels, Most of the Star Sports Channels, TEN Network channels.

We kept on checking with Ms. Swapna on these channels. Every time her answer would be 'Is it? You are still not getting the channels. Is your TV switched on? Let me do a refresh'. ' You are not even getting HD Channels? Let me do a refresh' .

Also we called this Mr. Murali a couple of times and he too did this damn refresh and as usual to no avail.

Then we called up Customer Care. Their story was different. They told us that had taken some Dhamaal Cricket package an hence only these channels would be available.

When we told Customer Care that we had not chosen any 'Dhamaal Cricket' package and that we were told that all channels would be available for the first one month, their answer was 'That you need to deal with the Dealer. We are not responsible'.

This really has gotten to my nerves. Why the hell does Tata Sky have 'authorized' dealers when Tata Sky is not holding itself responsible for the dealers' actions?

Why the hell does Tata Sky send its technician to our houses when a dealer passes our names to them but has nothing to do with those dealers when they screw up?

I have logged a couple of complaints with Tata Sky Customer Care. Every time the standard reply is that within 48 hrs someone will call us. And I was shocked to know that one of my complaints was closed as the work was complete. What work was complete? God knows.

The second complaint is still open and as usual no one from Tata Sky has called me yet.

So as evident the service from Tata Sky has been disappointing and that is an understatement. I have called different Tata Sky evangelists at least 100 times in all so far with divergent responses 'Call Mr. Murali', 'Call the Dealer', 'Call the person who came initially', 'Call Customer Care'.

Also at times when I call Customer Care they ask me 'Have you already mailed?'

Why the hell do I need to mail as well as call?

Signing off on this post.

My request is simple. Pls. refund me the Rs. 650 I was unfairly charged for wiring
Please ensure that I am adequately compensated for being denied access to all the channels that I was promised by your dealer at the start.

Subramanian S
Tata Sky ID - 1126118940
My Mobile Number - 9052516060

Reply Mail sent to Tata Sky after the promptly attended to my complaint and closed it to my utmost satisfaction:-
=====================================================================================
Dear Sir

While my mail yesterday had undertones of dismay, today's mail is definitely on a cheerful note.

And the architect of turnaround is undoubtedly Ms. Saraswathi Iyer.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the CEO's office early in the morning.
Ms. Iyer assured me that she would correct all the wrongs and correct she did.

Within minutes of her call. Mr. Surya's technical team was at my doorstep. They promptly rectified the wiring faults, established a connection via external wiring and refunded me the money I had paid for internal wiring.

Ms. Iyer then was on call continuously, kept me updated on the plans to correct the package that I was offered.
I was promptly provided the package I was promised by the Tata Sky dealer initially.

By 4 pm normalcy was restored.

This display of Customer Service by Ms. Saraswathi Iyer clearly demonstrated why Tata Sky is doing so well on the Customer addition and retention fronts.

And such promptness at the highest levels of the organization definitely augurs well for your company.

Thanks again.

Subramanian S

You must try other sources of contacting Tata Sky to ensure your work gets done. You can address your complaint to tata sky’s official handle @tatasky. They will arrange for a callback and assist you accordingly or you can contact Tata Sky customer service. They are quite prompt in their reply and will help you out. It is more effective way of getting your work done. You can write to them at help@tatasky.com or call their Toll Free Number at 1-800-1806633. The best part is it is available 24X7. I am sure they will look into your matter and resolve your issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors