eBay India : Unethical Practices

kspv

I paid Rs.15,549/- for an ASUS FonePad (Model No.ME371MG-1B058A) to an eBbay India seller, Chetan Gupta @ "Onebazaar" (PaisaPay ID: 34565658781) on 9th September, 2013. This phone model was released into the Indian market sometime during April-May, 2013 by ASUS Technologies, Taiwan. The seller advertised the product on eBay India as having one year manufacturer’s warranty with a free shipping offer. The phone was shipped to me by First Flight Couriers(Airway Bill No. E12475643) on 11th September, 2013, and I received the shipment on 13th September, 2013. The FonePad’s Serial No. is D5OKBC085115.

During the second week of November, 2013, the FonePad started charging less and less. Two days later, it would not charge at all, and instead display on screen a green coloured battery icon with a question mark. Puzzled, I googled about this and came across a flood of complaints from consumers all over the world about the FonePad’s “green battery icon with a question mark” problem. Grapewine on the internet was that the model had an inherent incompatibility between its motherboard and the battery, and hence the issue. This being the case, the least ASUS could have done is to order a recall of the model. But they did not do so.

I contacted ASUS Technologies (ASUS Case ID= RWTM201312061858436322-077), and was asked to approach their nearest authorized service centre. I therefore approached M/s. Digicomp Solutions, the authorized service centre of ASUS in Hyderabad. They found out that the unit had a manufacturing defect, declared the unit as unserviceable, retained the unit with them, and issued a DOA certificate (DHDDKDBR5091) asking me to approach M/s. Compuage, Hyderabad (distributor of ASUS) for a replacement / refund. When I approached the latter, M/s. Compuage issued me an RMA CN certificate (INUK3B0082), and asked me to claim the replacement / refund from Onebazaar. I was informed that the DOA policy of ASUS is to reimburse the actual seller for the replacement / refund, and I cannot get a replacement / refund for the items bought from non-local sellers on eBay India from the distributors in Hyderabad.

Taken aback, I contacted ASUS India’s hot-line at 18002090365 to explore the possibility of obtaining a relief locally. Their response was that I should approach eBay India alone.

I emailed a few times to eBay India and Onebazaar regarding the problem. My emails were met with silence. Worse, eBay India’s customer-care recorded a false customer support call on 09/12/2013, and even asked me to provide feedback on their customer support through an email(that’s how I came to know of the fake “customer support call”). I guess they closed my complaint after recording the fake customer support call.

It is clear that eBay India washes off its hands once they get their commission out of a sale. The sellers on eBay India prefer to remain faceless, and are least inclined to address the grievances of the customers once the sale is complete. Unless the seller continues to sell on eBay, it is not even possible to get the details of the seller beyond a 90 day period from the sale. Companies on their part, are not ready to honour the warranties for the products sold on eBay India. Yet eBay India claims warranties while listing the products.

It is astonishing that I purchased a high value product from a reputed company such as ASUS which went bad within two months of the purchase, and despite the proof that the product had a manufacturing defect, I don’t seem to be getting redressal from any corner.

This morning, Shri. Chetan Gupta @ Onebazaar was kind enough to receive my call on his cell phone. I was told by him that my problem has now became an, “inter-state” problem, and that since the defective unit was taken by ASUS service centre at Hyderabad, and since RMA CN Certificate was issued by M/s. Compuage, Hyderabad, it is for them to deal with the problem. He added that some companies like Nikon India had announced that they would not honour warranties for their products sold on eBay India.

Be as it may, Peter Chang, Regional Head, ASUS India, continues to release new FonePad models into the Indian market. eBay India continues to list phones & tablets, boasting manufacturer’s warranty. Mr. Chetan gupta @ Onebazaar continues to thrive and sell on eBay India. M/s. Digicomp Solutions continues to issue DOA certificates to defective units. M/s. Compuage, Hyderabad continues to represent ASUS in Hyderabad, and issues RMA CN certificates. But all the king’s men cannot put Humpty-Dumpty together again. All of them only make Aam Aadmi like me go around in circles for a redressal.

These days a number of high value goods are listed and sold on eBay India. As long as there is no issue with any given product, everything goes fine. But God forbid, if there is an issue, you may not get any redressal even after running from pillar to post. I learnt my lesson after loosing Rs.15,549/-, and after plenty of running around. I hope and wish that others take better decisions based on my experience. Best wishes.

Even my experience with E-bay is also very shocking....
I purchased Schwarzkopf Bonacure BC Smooth Shine Treatment for my hair on 5th Jan 2014 from E-bay. The seller mentioned that the product is made in Germany & in the photograph it was clearly visible Smooth Shine Leave in Treatment. I paid Rs 899+50 towards the cost of product & shipping charges respectively. But after receiving the product, I found it with no manufacturing & expiry date, no address of manufacturer and above all, it is written leave in tratment on one side & rinse out treatment on the back side of the container.
I received a totally pirated product from such a reputed on-line retail shop called E-bay...Its shocking & disgusting. I want immediate refund of my Rs 950/- from E-bay.

Attachments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors