Intermittant Broadband Connection and Pathetic Support

Hi,

Before I get into the problem I have been facing with BSNL Bangalore, let me make it clear that, I'm in no way biased about the service they provide or interested in comparing any other ISPs.
I got a BSNL connection about 2 years ago and it worked fine with some minor loss in connectivity now and then but, my problem began a few months ago when, the connection started cutting out every hour and then progressed to 5 minutes interval. I tried to get it fixed by looking for a way to lodge my complaint online from my office computer and to my disbelief, I found out that their website did not have a facility to lodge a complaint properly and being a Senior Software Engineer, and having worked on websites for years, I found that the site was not just lack luster but, broken. This is quite shocking for me, as BSNL being a ISP does not have a proper site. Though, I had heard about, BSNL's service from friends, who recommended other ISPs, I was forced to go with BSNL since, no other authentic ISP was providing service in my area. Since, I did not have an online option and I had no other option, I looked for an alternative and tried calling their support numbers, after minutes of terrible music, that would make a guy love death metal music after listening to it. An operator responds with a rate of speech that, would make the chinese proud. My first reaction was, 'huh?' and the operator repeats the same statement again at a faster rate. I figure, this would be a waste of time and use their automated complaint booking system and log a complaint on broadband, cause there is no option on the menu for selecting intermittant connection.

After some days, the problem seems to be fixed, then after a month, its back. I again go through the same process and end up logging complaint and it gets resolved and the problem returns after a few days. This happens numerous times until the last time, I logged a complaint recently and somebody left a note on my door saying contact Narayana, 8277646068, BSNL. I call the number and find the man on the other end as irritable as if, I woke him from a deep slumber. He complains to me, nobody is at home when he comes to check the problem and that I keep on raising complaints. Apart from this, he also complains that, he could not call me because, he didn't have my phone number when, I registered for their service with the same mobile number I have been using for years. I bite down my frustration and try to reason with the man and inform him that, I work from 9 am to 6 pm and being a bachelor, nobody will be at home during the day. He then asks me whether I'll be available tomorrow (which is a working day) at 11 am when, I just informed him I won't be. Instead of checking for other available time frame or asking when I'll be available this man, straight away tells me to go dump the modem at their nearest BSNL office for them to isolate the problem bearing in mind that I will be without internet and I have to spend money on fuel or pay for transportation on an errand that would not fix my problem but, only provide the prospect of identifying it. Forget about the fact that, I have to shift my work schedules with impending deadlines or the precious time I loose with this errand.

I expected some level of indifference from BSNL to their customers when, I bought the connection but, this was frankly, dismal and callous. My frustration gets the best of me and I ask for options on cancellation and then, he changes his tone and says, he can provide another number to call. By this time, I just refrain from shouting at the man and tell him, there is no need for that and he promptly does not respond. I finally turn to writing this "wonderful" experience on a consumer complaint forum. Looking back, all this could have been avoided, if they provided some online option on their "portal" for lodging complaints and explaining the nature of the problem and train their employees to have some soft skills, phone ettiquette and the meaning of the term empathy.

I just can't believe that, BSNL treats a customer like me, who pays close to 16k per annum for their 4Mbps service with such indifference and discourtesy. I don't want to speculate how they treat someone who goes for one of their value products after an experience like this. I'm looking for some other option before I make a move from this level of treatment....

Regards,

Tejas

expert

Administrator
Staff member
Employees unions have hijacked all the public sectors in India. For buying anything from BSNL side, vendors will need to pay bribe first, which goes into the pocket of BSNL employees and finally to ministers.

About website, same applies. Who maintains their site needs to pay good bribe. Who bothers about quality?

Expert said:
Employees unions have hijacked all the public sectors in India. For buying anything from BSNL side, vendors will need to pay bribe first, which goes into the pocket of BSNL employees and finally to ministers.

About website, same applies. Who maintains their site needs to pay good bribe. Who bothers about quality?
One of the reasons for private companies moving in so easily and making huge profits from a vastly disgruntled consumer base. I mean, take my case for instance, I'm desperately trying to find an alternative to BSNL now. Everyone states the same thing these days, 'Do not go for anything remotely associated with government' and people like me who believe in giving a break for our companies are being rewarded with such indifference.
Look at the way they operate, they choose areas where other companies are not providing service so, that you are forced to buy their connection and end up paying for a malfunctioning service. This is nothing more or less than a scam....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors