Ford Fiesta on Fire in Engine Compartment

I am owner of a Ford Fiesta petrol engine car. On December 16, 2011 whilst I was being driven, my chauffer noticed smoke emanating from the engine compartment. On opening the bonnet, a small fire was found. It was put out with the help of some water.
On careful inspection it was found that the power steering fluid hose had developed a small leak and the fluid was dripping directly on to the hot silencer pipe and not onto the road surface and that this was the reason that the fluid self ignited and a fire resulted. When my car was taken to the local Ford workshop for repairs, I learnt that two other cars of the same model had met the same fate in the same month.
I further learnt from an internet search that this was not a one off incident and that the power steering fluid is known to leak and despite that Ford neglected this major design fault and put in danger my life and that of my chauffer.
I recorded these facts by several emails to Mr. Michael Boneham, MD Ford India and other executives of Ford with copies to Ford CEO Mr. A. R. Mulally and other Directors of Ford Motors.
To my utter shock, Mr. Ganeshram, Ford India Limited-Customer Relations replied to me, disowning the responsibility and liability in respect of the incident. Further, to add insult to injury, by another email Ford India’s one Mr. Ominder Pal Singh, Service Engineering Operations, attempted to pacify me and surreptitiously recover the burn marked power steering fluid hose from me.
I will never recommend this Ford car to any one and would like to inform all, take care the next time when you sit in a Ford car.

expert

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Ford Fiesta on Fire

If you were in US you can sue them for $1 billion. But in India you'll only get some Rs. 500 for your petrol expenses on visiting their service center.

Can you please upload the letters here?

Just go to consumer court and spread it in media. They will automatically come to you for bargain.

RE: Ford Fiesta on Fire

Expert said:
If you were in US you can sue them for $1 billion. But in India you'll only get some Rs. 500 for your petrol expenses on visiting their service center.

Just go to consumer court and spread it in media. They will automatically come to you for bargain.
[hr]
aaindia said:
Expert said:

Sorry for the delay. The text of my complaint is an abstract from the notice my lawyer sent to Ford.

I am not sure if I uoplad the actual notice copy now, as I intend to pursue this matter further legally.
My experience is not unique as an internet search will provide several results of Ford Fiestas catching fire. Though I am not aware of the reasons of the fires, the fact is that it has been a recurring event putting lives at risk.

expert

Administrator
Staff member
I think there is no legal issues if you publish your complaint. Your lawyer will be the best person to advise on this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors