Complaint against Dr. Ashwani Maichand , Dr B L Kapur Hospital , Delhi

I would like to share & update everyone about Dr Ashwani Maichand who is working as a Sr orthopedic surgeon in Dr B L Kapur hospital , Pusa Road,Delhi .He is has been charging patients in the name of world class orthopedic care .

My dad met with an accident on 9/2/2012 and I took him to the B L Kapur hospital in emergency and to our bad luck we got Dr Maichand as our consultant doctor. After the preliminary examination and X-rays he said that a PFN (Proximal Femoral Nail) surgery would be required as the tip of the femur bone was broken and there was a proximal humerus fracture ( Shoulder fracture) . He knew that the surgery would not be easy as my dad has been a diabetic & heart patient from the last 6 yrs. , still we agreed to his thoughts of getting the surgery done . On the 3rd day of my dad in the hospital , Dr maichand changed his mind(Greed for more money & extend stay in the hospital) & said 2 surgeries would be required and he will be performing both the surgeries on the same day . Just a day before of the scheduled surgery ,he sent his junior doctor to me asking me to sign the consent form where he mentioned that it is going to be a high risk surgery . I refused to sign that document saying if it is a high risk then I would like to consult other doctors before getting it done- which is our right as per IPC & Medical guidelines listed by IMA . He immediately came into the picture saying it is not right and we shouldn't wait too long and started blackmailing us emotionally .Despite of being unclear in my thoughts,I got the surgery done and during the surgery my dad's condition didn't allow him to carry out the second surgery& they stopped it in between and said we will do it again in next 3 days . In those 3 days my dad's condition deteriorated & he was taken to the ICCU and had to be there for 6 days post operation . In between those 6 days , I got a chance to consult other doctors about the shoulder fracture & they said there is no need to get it operated as after the certain age the surgery would not be effective . They also told me that the shoulder bone alignment is so dynamic that the functional movement will automatically come in 6 weeks time . When I told Dr Maichand that I wouldn't like to get the second surgery done , he immediately responded saying he is not going to treat my dad as we have been interfering too much .I followed all his guidelines and spent too much money in the hospital & also hired attendants at home on his suggestion .I didn't know earlier that he has a share in everything I buy by giving his reference . I don't even want to talk about money as the mental trauma my family has gone through in the last 10 months has been way above spending the money .

I also met close to 20 patients who got their surgery done by this doctor & never got satisfactory recovery from their surgery .Its been 10 months now that I got the operation done and still my dad cannot walk . I am just trying to update and spread my experience of this doctor to the maximum possible crowd so that others avoing going to this surgeon. I will also be filing the court case against him to ensure that he is barred from practicing as a doctor. We've fallen prey to his emotional tactis.

It is my sincere suggestion/advice to everyone that please never ever consult Dr Ashwani Maichand & B L Kapur hospital. It is my request that please share/spread this message as much as possible. Please feel free to email me /call me if you have been a sufferer due to Dr Maichand .

Hi!! My name is Priya Talwar. My experience with Dr. Ashwani Maichand is that he is very kind, very focused and an obvious genius in his field of work, and finally, a man of few words.

My Mother Veena Talwar was suffering from both (bilateral) knee osteoarthritis which required bilateral knee replacement. One day we visited Dr. Ashwani Maichand at Jaypee Hospital,Noida I was humbled by the way he greeted me. He examined my mother, explained us and send his boys to get my mother’s Xrays done and he took care that we didn't have to wait in spite of large rush at his OPD.

After the x-rays he told me that my mother require bilateral knee replacement and then he took 20 min to explain the procedure and the master stroke was he told us that my mother will start walking in 24 hours and will not be dependent on anybody for her toilet activities. Also Dr. Ashwani assured me that he will make all the arrangements at my home for my mother’s dressing and physiotherapy.

My Brother too had a telephonic conversation with him and he was able to explain him everything on phone. Our family got convinced we were in safe hands and we decided for admission and surgery. My mother underwent Bilateral Knee replacement by Dr. Ashwani Maichand and was absolutely pain free throughout. She could walk to toilet after 24 hours and over next 5 days of her stay she could independently walk the whole hospital corridor. She was actually independent at the time of discharge. The ambulance dropped us to our home, her dressing and staple removal were done at my home by Dr. Maichand’s team. Daily physiotherapy was done at my home. Each and every member was courteous and competent and I enjoyed the home services.

In 4 weeks she could climb up and down the stairs and go for a walk in the park. She cook food for me sometimes and She is managing our house quiet well. I wish we would have met Dr. Maichand earlier that would have improved my mother’s life 5 years back. I am very thankful to him for being what he is - organized, humane and a genius! Certain special kinds of people may interpret that as "rude, arrogant, insensitive...", but one cannot expect someone who carries out over 20 surgeries and sees over 50-100 patients a day, to play our nurse, counselor or priest.

Regards,
Priya Talwar

microsoft.varun@gmail.com said:
I would like to share & update everyone about Dr Ashwani Maichand who is working as a Sr orthopedic surgeon in Dr B L Kapur hospital , Pusa Road,Delhi .He is has been charging patients in the name of world class orthopedic care .

My dad met with an accident on 9/2/2012 and I took him to the B L Kapur hospital in emergency and to our bad luck we got Dr Maichand as our consultant doctor. After the preliminary examination and X-rays he said that a PFN (Proximal Femoral Nail) surgery would be required as the tip of the femur bone was broken and there was a proximal humerus fracture ( Shoulder fracture) . He knew that the surgery would not be easy as my dad has been a diabetic & heart patient from the last 6 yrs. , still we agreed to his thoughts of getting the surgery done . On the 3rd day of my dad in the hospital , Dr maichand changed his mind(Greed for more money & extend stay in the hospital) & said 2 surgeries would be required and he will be performing both the surgeries on the same day . Just a day before of the scheduled surgery ,he sent his junior doctor to me asking me to sign the consent form where he mentioned that it is going to be a high risk surgery . I refused to sign that document saying if it is a high risk then I would like to consult other doctors before getting it done- which is our right as per IPC & Medical guidelines listed by IMA . He immediately came into the picture saying it is not right and we shouldn't wait too long and started blackmailing us emotionally .Despite of being unclear in my thoughts,I got the surgery done and during the surgery my dad's condition didn't allow him to carry out the second surgery& they stopped it in between and said we will do it again in next 3 days . In those 3 days my dad's condition deteriorated & he was taken to the ICCU and had to be there for 6 days post operation . In between those 6 days , I got a chance to consult other doctors about the shoulder fracture & they said there is no need to get it operated as after the certain age the surgery would not be effective . They also told me that the shoulder bone alignment is so dynamic that the functional movement will automatically come in 6 weeks time . When I told Dr Maichand that I wouldn't like to get the second surgery done , he immediately responded saying he is not going to treat my dad as we have been interfering too much .I followed all his guidelines and spent too much money in the hospital & also hired attendants at home on his suggestion .I didn't know earlier that he has a share in everything I buy by giving his reference . I don't even want to talk about money as the mental trauma my family has gone through in the last 10 months has been way above spending the money .

I also met close to 20 patients who got their surgery done by this doctor & never got satisfactory recovery from their surgery .Its been 10 months now that I got the operation done and still my dad cannot walk . I am just trying to update and spread my experience of this doctor to the maximum possible crowd so that others avoing going to this surgeon. I will also be filing the court case against him to ensure that he is barred from practicing as a doctor. We've fallen prey to his emotional tactis.

It is my sincere suggestion/advice to everyone that please never ever consult Dr Ashwani Maichand & B L Kapur hospital. It is my request that please share/spread this message as much as possible. Please feel free to email me /call me if you have been a sufferer due to Dr Maichand .

Dear Mr. Varun / Friends / Our Patients

Social Media is a good platform to express our opinion about anything & everything. But while expressing our views we have to be responsible enough that we don't mix up facts with emotions. Reason being that so many people who are going through your views may be misguided and can make bad choices.

When a doctor treats a patient, he intends to give his best but unfortunately 5 to 10 % patients stay dissatisfied for various reasons. These reasons can be health related, financial, emotional or a mix of them.

In this particular case (as stated by Mr. Varun) the patient was a high risk case because of Diabetes, Heart Problem and Old age. In such cases we tend to do as little as surgical intervention possible to avoid complications. This was the reason that we planed for Hip surgery only. Plus we are never in a hurry to operate such patients thats why we waited for 3 days for this patient's fitness. But after the patient was investigated and Pre Anaesthetic Check up (PAC)was done, our anaesthesia team told us that we can plan for both the surgeries. This was the reason that we changed our decision after three days regarding shoulder surgery and informed the family.

When the Hip surgery was over, patient was re-assesed in OT and the anaesthesist informed us that shoulder surgery should not be done. Hence we abandoned it.

Patient's family was informed at every step and decision. We understand that when a decision is changed twice, the attendants get confused but we cannot perform a surgery which can result in complications / risk to patient's life. Though the opinions to operate or not to operate can differ in view of different surgeons.

PFN is a standard surgery all over the world for Trochanter Fracture (Hip Fracture). Patient not walking after the surgery doesn't mean a bad procedure, it involves patient's general condition, proper physiotherapy and regular follow up with the surgeon (which never happened in this case).

It was unfortunate that our patient was not satisfied with the treatment and we fully respect the financial and emotional impact but to blatantly accusing the doctor of having financial share in everything like medicines, investigations ....etc. is not justified.

To summarize, we followed all the standard protocols and procedures applicable in this case as per international parameters. We have a vast experience of operating such patients and most of our patients are satisfied and doing well.

NB : Its our humble request to the website administrators to kindly verify the facts before publishing so that this platform cannot be abused for harrasing and blackmailing the professionals who are doing honest service to the suffering humanity.

I belong to Rohtak (Haryana) and my mother was not able to walk more than 50 meters for the last 5 years. She was complaining of pain in her knees and legs whenever she wanted to walk. We got the X-Ray done at Rohtak and consulted our physician there. He immediately advised us for Knee Replacement and then we approached Dr. Ashwani Maichand.

The major difference we found that before advising any surgery, he fully examined the patient and told us that leg pain may be because of spine problem as well. So we first ruled out spine problem by geting an MRI done.

Once he was clear that the pain was not spine related, he then fully explained us about Knee replacement, precautions, complications ....etc.

We got our patient admitted under him at Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh (Delhi). The Post operative period / care was very very comfortable and my mother started walking from Day 1.

Above all, the budget was less than our expectation and we went home satisfied. Thanks to Dr. Ashwani Maichand and his entire team.

Satish Hooda

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors