Sony Bravia model KDL40ex520 screen panel failure

I purchased a Sony TV model KDL40ex520 in January 2012 at a cost of Rs.65000/- . Around 10/4/2014, I noticed a problem of peculiar discolouring of screen. The screen had a horizontal line running roughly at half the height the screen. Below the line ( bottom half), picture appears to be OK, but above the line, picture is highly discoloured. ( images attached). I tried different inputs and various screen settings including factory reset, but the problem persisted. I then lodged a complaint with Sony Customer Care who gave an Complaint Id: 18608020. Sony India sent an engineer to inspect the TV who told me that the lcd panel of the set has failed and will have to be replaced. He told that the cost of panel replacement will be Rs. 22000/-. Since the TV had just completed two years, I decided to take up the matter with Sony India. I requested Sony TV India, through their Customer Care Service, to arrange replacement of the panel, free of cost or at concessional rates as the TV has just completed two years of service. After about a week of persuasion, I was informed that the panel will be replaced ONLY on payment of about Rs. 22000/-. Since Sony is a trusted brand all over the world and Sony products, particularly, high value items, are expected to give service for a reasonable period. More over, I have checked with different forums, a lot of customers are facing the same/similar issues with this model only. As such, it appears that this particular model has some manufacturing defects from the very beginning. I therefore request Sony India management to arrange replacement of lcd panel of my TV, free of cost, as a special case.

Attachments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors