HDFC Bank: transferred money into wrong account with Netbanking

I have a HDFC Savings Account.

On 31st March 2013, I did a NEFT transfer of 12,500INR into a wrong HDFC account. In the Netbanking TPT screen, instead of filling in one text field, I mistakenly filled in one below (wrong account), and hit next. On the next confirmation screen, HDFC does not show the beneficiary's account name/nickname. Assuming I had selected the correct account details, I hit confirm. The money was wired.

I contacted the account holder (my ex-landlord!!) and asked him to return my money but he refused.

What are my options now: police, help from bank officials? According to RBI guidelines -
RBI/2010-11/235
DPSS (CO) EPPD No. / 863 / 04.03.01 / 2010-11

While the beneficiary’s name shall be compulsorily mentioned in the instruction request, and carried as part of the funds transfer message ...

With HDFC Netbanking NEFT Third Party Transfer, the above is not true. Can I sue the bank based on this? Can I sue my ex-landlord for fraud? Does consumer court even take up cases against individuals, or am I barking up the wrong wall?

Thanks for any advice/help.

expert

Administrator
Staff member
So you transferred from HDFC to HDFC? NEFT should not apply when transferring within a bank. But ... if it is in the circular then go and reach-out to Banking Ombudsman in your region. He/she will definitely help you out if it is mistake from HDFC Bank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors